Flavio specializes in international commercial and investor-State arbitration. Flavio has been involved (as counsel, secretary or assistant to arbitral tribunals and arbitrator) in over 30 arbitrations subject to various rules (ICC, ICSID, LCIA, Swiss Rules, CAM, UNCITRAL), including high-profile matters in the energy sector involving state and state-owned entities.
Flavio’s recent experience as counsel includes representing
- photovoltaic investors of different nationalities in six UNCITRAL arbitrations against the Czech Republic brought under the ECT and various intra-EU BITs (the largest of which is ongoing in its quantum phase);
- representing an Italian distributor of medical devices in ICC arbitrations against a Japanese manufacturer;
- representing a Maltese company in ICC arbitration relating to the commercial use of the image rights of one of the world’s leading football players;
- representing an Italian railway contractor in ICC arbitration arising from a FIDIC contract with a foreign state-owned entity;
- representing an Italian energy company in ICC arbitration relating to the exercise of a call option in a shareholders’ agreement;
- representing a foreign company in CAM arbitration concerning an Italian company law dispute.
Flavio’s other recent experience includes
- acting as co-arbitrator in CAM arbitration arising from a distribution agreement;
- acting as tribunal secretary in ICC arbitration relating to a project for the construction of a waste-to-energy plant between a European company and a Middle Eastern State;
- acting as tribunal secretary in ICC arbitration relating to an oil refinery joint venture in Costa Rica;
- acting as tribunal secretary in ICC arbitration between US investors and the national electricity company of West African country relating to a project for the improvement of the electricity sector;
- assisting L. G. Radicati di Brozolo in preparing expert opinions on arbitration law issues (i.e. confidentiality, interim measures, arbitrators’ disclosure and conflicts of interest and res judicata).
Flavio is recognized as “future leader” in international arbitration (Who’s Who Legal “Arbitration Future Leaders – Non Partners” 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022), notable Italian lawyer in this field (Who’s Who Legal “Italy: Arbitration” 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022) and “rising star” of commercial arbitration (Expert Guides “Rising Stars” – Commercial Arbitration – Italy, 2019, 2020, 2021).
Flavio holds a Ph.D. in International Law from the Catholic University of Milan, with a thesis on the res judicata effects of foreign judgments and international arbitral awards. Since 2013 he assists Professor Radicati di Brozolo with his courses of Private International Law and Law of International Arbitration. Flavio is a member of the board of editors of the Italian law review Diritto del Commercio Internazionale. The Law of International Trade.
Flavio was member of the Executive Committee of AIA-ARBIT-40 (the Italian under 40 arbitration group) from 2019 to 2022. In 2014, he took part in the International Academy for Arbitration Law held in Paris where he was awarded the runner-up prize for the laureate of the Academy. He graduated summa cum laude from the Law School of the Catholic University of Milan in 2012. Before joining ArbLit, Flavio was a trainee for a year in the corporate and M&A practice group of Bonelli Erede in Milan.